Top 10 Benefits of Physical Activity
- Improve your memory and brain function (all age groups)
- Protect against many chronic diseases
- Aid in weight management
- Lower blood pressure and improve heart health
- Improve your quality of sleep
- Reduce feelings of anxiety and depression
- Combat cancer-related fatigue
- Aerobic exercise
- Using an elliptical trainer
What Is Aerobic Exercise?
Aerobic means “with oxygen,” so aerobic exercise is any physical activity that involves increased amounts of oxygen throughout your body. As you exercise, your muscles require increased oxygen to contract for a prolonged period.
Your heart rate will increase to pump more oxygen-carrying blood throughout the body to supply more oxygen to your muscles. Your breathing rate will also increase to bring more oxygen into the body and the bloodstream. Because aerobic exercise requires increased functioning of your heart and lungs or cardiovascular system, aerobic exercise is often called cardiovascular exercise, or “cardio.”
Weight Training Benefits
Strength training can help you manage or lose weight, and it can increase your metabolism to help you burn more calories. Enhance your quality of life. Strength training may enhance your quality of life and improve your ability to do everyday activities. Strength training can also protect your joints from injury.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health
- Improved Mental Health
- Stronger Bones
- Improved Joint Flexibility
- Lower Body Fat
- Improved Body Image
- Reduces Risk of Chronic Disease
- Strength training is also known as weight training, resistance training, and muscular training
The general definition of strength training is any physical movement in which you use your body weight or equipment (e.g., dumbbells and resistance bands) to build muscle mass, strength, and endurance.
The main types of strength training include:
Muscular hypertrophy. Also known as muscle building, this type of strength training uses moderate-to-heavy weights to stimulate muscle growth.
Muscular endurance. This refers to your muscles’ ability to sustain exercise for a period of time. Training to increase muscular endurance usually involves high reps using light weights or body weight.